A journey into the world of "real food" with Seattle-based journalist Rebecca Morris

A journey into the world of "real food" with Seattle-based journalist Rebecca Morris

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Welcome to TrueFoods

For years I’ve wondered if I would ever get a chance to use my middle name in a byline. What a byline it would be! I could say “Truth is my middle name.” Well, almost.

My middle name is True; it was my paternal grandmother’s first name, and my aunt’s first name. It dates from the days when popular girls’ names were virtues appearing in the New Testament - Faith, Hope, and Charity among them.

As a print and broadcast reporter for 35 years I have tried, always, to write the truth. And now I’m being honest with myself about my health and diet. As I wrote in an article in the Seattle Times published April 14, 2008, I began dieting young. Not from choice. My mother was afraid I would be plump like my father and all the women in his family. I am. As I child, I was stocky. My mother meant no harm, but she withheld food from me. I remember a summer, maybe when I was 11 or 12, that I ate sardines and soda crackers for lunch – every day. She would sit by me and both monitor my eating and keep me company. I began sneaking food, just in case. Studies show that if you want to guarantee a child grows up to have weight problems as an adult, put them on a diet when young.

After years of dieting – everything from Weight Watchers (numerous times) to Optifast, calorie counting, prescription ‘uppers’, cognitive therapy, hypnosis, and yes, exercise – I am ready for a new way of living. At least three times I have lost 50 pounds or more. But each time I return to old habits, eating sweets (especially) when I am happy, sad, worried, fearful, optimistic, busy, bored, lonely or even in love. I learned young to cope and calm myself with food.

I am tired of being tired, would like to have more energy, and hope to lessen my arthritis and sciatica. My original goal was to lose 100 pounds while eating real food for one year. I have sliced that to 80 pounds; the weight doesn’t fall off as it did when I was younger.

I decided to follow writer Michael Pollan’s manifesto: eat real food, not too much, mostly plants. Also, don’t eat food your great grandmother wouldn’t recognize, avoid foods with more than five ingredients or with ingredients you can’t pronounce, and stay away from food products that make health claims. Pollan says that the processed and refined stuff most of us eat isn’t food but rather “edible food-like substances.”

You can learn more about Pollan’s take on America’s grocery stores and eating habits in his book “In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto.” It has been on the New York Times bestseller list for 14 weeks.

How am I doing eating real food? The first few weeks went well. I lost nine pounds and my blood pressure dropped significantly. Then, my mother died; it wasn’t unexpected, she was 97 years old. But within 24 hours of her death, I was consoling and distracting myself with ice cream (at least 37 ingredients) and pizza (who knows). Here’s another lesson: real life happens. While enthusiasm carried me in the early days of this dramatic new way of eating, what I lean on now is my commitment to my health, even if I slip into old habits occasionally.

My physician, Sallie Dacey, a Group Health family practice doctor at Northgate Medical Center in Seattle, will occasionally ‘weigh in’ on questions of health and nutrition.

I invite you to join me, whether every day or occasionally. Tell me and others your experiences about eating real food. Maybe we can form a community where we share recipes, tips on eating organic and finding farmers markets, ideas about eating in restaurants and portion control, and the highs and the lows of loving food - a community that reaches beyond ‘dieting’ to be about living.

6 comments:

socknitter said...

I'm proud to be the first to post a comment as well as one present at that fateful brunch where you announced your ambitious plan! With the help of Pike Place Market I think you'll succeed brilliantly. If you want me to save a bit of our garden for you let me know! Best of luck on this venture! Gina P.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you're not the only person to follow Pollan's excellent advice, but I'm glad you're doing it in such a public way. My wife and I try, try, try to eat real food from the earth that's free of pesticies and additives. We enjoyed "wintered over" chard from our Portland garden last night with cous cous, but I confess we also had "edible food-like substances" to accompany the healthy stuff. You are an inspiration! - Williwy

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you for this endeavor. I have not taken the time to read all that your wrote, I will this week, yet I wanted to share another way to look at losing weight, that you might be able to us some of the information. I have watched the last five weeks on channel 38, a Paul about losing weight. Go to www.tlc.com/thin and read some of his methods. I think this is mostly another great way to look at food. Let me know when you look him up. Stay foucused, love, Sharon Kaye...Lucille is there to help you, just ask her.

troika said...

I have tried to eat this way many times. Though it can be delicious and somewhat satisfying, I always fell away because of the work involved and the social isolation as well as the deprivation of the "special."
Work: chopping, cleaning, cooking, every meal. Even using shortcuts such as cooking double, freezing, etc get so old. Social isolation: being unable to go out with friends for a bite, unless it's a salad. This also explains the loss of the special. How thrilling is a salad, after all? I will be interested in how you cope with these issues. Thanks for doing this and publishing your project.

Imei said...

I believe you are on one of the more important lifestyle changes that support health and weight loss. My husband and I are regular practitioners of yoga, and through the yoga community, learned a lot about nutrition, food, sustainability, local produce, etc. We use our local farmer's market on the weekends, and purchase from stores like PCC and Whole Foods, eating real food and avoiding most processed foods. We both maintain low BMI's, healthy weight, and we still like food (i.e. we don't have eating disorders).

Yet I'm sure you've already discussed with your doctor the other pieces of your health and weight loss journey: exercise/movement and emotions. As a nurse psychotherapist who treats people in this arena, I cannot stress more how important it is to change the way you think and feel about eating and food in conjunction with a fun and healthy way to move your body. And so I've come to use yoga and bellydance to help women learn a different relationship with food as well as their bodies.

I am starting a Yoga for Weight Loss class fairly soon, which combines support on nutrition, yoga, Mindfulness Meditation (to address the cognitive component!), and FUN in a reasonably priced class. Participants receive a discount if they sign up for any approved nutrition program (no crash diets, no packaged food programs), such as with a nutritionist or doctor's office. But more than advertising this class, I would like to offer my services to you and the public via your wonderful forum here. What you are doing here is wonderful, in educating and providing a place of dialogue.

My info is not yet completely posted to my website yet (I'm having tech problems, please bear with me), but info about me and what I do that may be of interest to you can be found on my website, www.dreamyoganddance.com, located in West Seattle. -- Imei, RN, LMHC, RYT, bellydancer
imei@dreamyogaanddance.com

Imei said...

There was a typo...

www.DreamYogaAndDance.com

missed an a...

Imei