A journey into the world of "real food" with Seattle-based journalist Rebecca Morris

A journey into the world of "real food" with Seattle-based journalist Rebecca Morris

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Question of the Day: April 22

How Are You Spending Earth Day?

It is incredible how the celebration of Earth Day has grown since 1970. Here in Seattle, we'll soon be charged for plastic bags at grocery stores (incentive to not forget the Trader Joe's or Whole Foods cloth bag lost in the back of the car or stuck in a home closet). I feel the city is a little hypocritical, in that construction, traffic and the cost of living here are issues not being addressed.

I'm still a carnivore and not a 100% locavore but I'm working at it. I'm sure I underestimate my carbon footprint.

Do we make changes because they're good for the planet, good for us, or good for our pocketbook? How did you spend Earth Day?

2 comments:

Wesa said...

I spent Earth Day trying to learn a new habit: turning off my power strips when I leave. There is no reason to constantly charge my laptop and by flipping the switch before I leave home, I could apparently save $60 a year.

Atticelf said...

I THOUGHT about Earth Day, but must admit that I didn't do a thing - no seeds or little trees planted, no discussion with the kiddos about what each of us can do to make things better...nada. In my defense (and apparently I feel the need to defend myself here) I think we do a fairly decent job around here. We're avid recyclers, I unplug appliances when not using them, we try to walk more than drive. Sure, there's more we can do, but we're trying and I don't think my kids even realize why we're doing some of these things. On one hand that's okay because it's just part of our lifestyle, but I guess a little awareness wouldn't be too shabby.