A journey into the world of "real food" with Seattle-based journalist Rebecca Morris

A journey into the world of "real food" with Seattle-based journalist Rebecca Morris

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Question of the Day: April 16, 2008

Are restaurant portions on a diet?

The Washington Post reported a few days ago that, due to “soaring food costs” and the odds of a recession around the corner, restaurants are cutting back on portion sizes.

Not for the sake of our bottoms – for the sake of their bottom lines.

The Post story says restaurants are using smaller plates, replacing expensive ingredients with cheaper ones, and putting less food on the plate (some are simply raising prices instead). A recent survey by the restaurant trade group (the National Restaurant Association) found that 46 percent of the restaurants surveyed reported fewer people eating out.

Smaller portions! Why, it’s almost un-American! The world knows that we’re known for the size of our restaurant portions. A few years ago, when I was a reporter in New York City, I made friends with a couple from Japan. The husband was a reporter assigned to the States for a year. When they first arrived, they were overwhelmed with how much food restaurants served, so they would share a meal. By the time they left, they had gained weight and could each tackle their own entrée.

Do you see portion sizes shrinking? Will Americans accept smaller portions? Has anybody ever asked the server to pack up half the meal to go, before even taking a bite?

3 comments:

Imei said...

Don't cringe.
Yes, I actually have asked that a waiter bring a take-out box with the delivery of the plate to the table, and I have portioned the food myself before taking a bite. That was back in the day when I was on a tight budget, and entrees in most restaurants continue to be too big for my stomach. Why not get a dinner and a lunch (leftovers) in one meal? Out of efficiency, I had often done the faux pax of asking for take out box AND the check WITH the meal (such as during a busy lunch hour). Lately, I haven't had occasion to do that, primarily because I no longer eat regularly at any place that serves those large portions anymore. I order every thing in its smallest size or if I'm simply not that hungry, order a tapas or appetizer that isn't fried. Some restaurants are catching on, offering a mid-sized version of their main dishes without the "fluff" -- no baked potato or rice, and a modest serving for about half the price.

I have noticed that the fancier the restaurant, the smaller the portions, the more "exotic" the faire and choices are. The most difficult part of eating out in non-vegetarian restaurants has been receiving a moderate slab of fish or meat, and having the "vegetables" presented as a 1/2 of a baby carrot, partially drowned in the sauce for the meat, and topped with carmelized onions. Personally, I don't want all my food tasting the same, if you are a texture eater, it's just not all that satisfying (one of the elements that leads to satiation and the feeling of contentment as well a fullness after eating).

I have noticed that most moderate priced restaurants provide more protein servings in one dish than you need for the average meal. Taking the extra home in a take out box, cutting it up into more portions and farming it out over several meals was my way of saving money and being conscious of my consumption. Ironically, I did that with last night's meal with a friend who flew in from NJ on his way back to Cali -- he wanted spicy food, and we packed up the left overs.

I'd be curious to hear from others about their experiences in vegetarian and vegan restaurants: are portions getting smaller there too?

Unknown said...

I haven't asked the waiter yet to bring a take out box at the beginning, but I do try to eat only half of the food that comes out. When I go out with my best friend though, we always get something to share. It's cheaper and we don't overeat!

Anonymous said...

I haven't noticed the portion resizing yet, but I am looking forward to it, if it's going to happen. I wonder if we can convince restaurants to do that rather than reduce the quality of the ingredients.

Putting half in a take-out box works for me, too. And sometimes I can get even old-school restaurants to substitute foods I can eat for foods I don't eat. For instance, a lot of breakfast places will give me a dish of fruit (however pathetic-looking) in substitution for hash browns.