A journey into the world of "real food" with Seattle-based journalist Rebecca Morris

A journey into the world of "real food" with Seattle-based journalist Rebecca Morris

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Question of the Week: Are You Eating True Foods This Summer?

It is almost six months to the day since I vowed to eat real food, or what I call true food (a play on my middle name, True). I haven't gorged on mountains of chocolate, as I described in an article in the Seattle Times on April 11, 2008 (my epiphany had occurred on Feb. 18). To tell the truth, I thought that 'going public' through the article, and immersing myself in the real food movement, would be the answer I've sought for decades - the answer to being overweight. It is, and it isn't. First, the changes I have made. I cook more and entertain more, thanks to having a new home with space, so I enjoy having a place to cook. I try and watch my sugar intake - my downfall and 'drug of choice,' as they say. All the organic food in Seattle won't make up for too much Ben & Jerry's or a key lime pie or an entire pizza. I love summer fruits and vegetables and now try and enjoy food rather than trying to fill my stomach and a void in my life with pizza and hamburgers. Now, the changes that come harder: not turning to food when I'm lonely, bored, sad, happy, excited, relieved, anxious, celebrating, mourning. My portions are still too big, and I look forward waaaay too much to eating. But there is a better balance setting in. I wish I could be rigid, or 'good' about only eating real food - sometimes rigid works for me, sometimes it doesn't. I rebel a lot. Maybe my mistake, if I've made one, is to look at this experiement as the solution, instead of what it is: a way of getting healthier, a better way to live a life. How are you doing?

5 comments:

Imei said...

For anyone interested in a book about the topics Rebecca mentioned in this latest blog entry, a must-read is "Intuitive Eating." Though I see it as the "ideal", I think many of us can come fairly close to what these two women have come upon that changes our relationship to food. THAT change is the key.

As of August 16, I shimmied off the last of my "baby fat" through a summer of careful but delicious organic food eating and my exercises of choice: yoga and bellydancing. It is entirely possible to eat well and be healthy and trim. The greatest weight maintenance program begins with a happy heart. I look forward to reading more blog entries from you, Rebecca, and will continue to follow your journey.

Cheers,
Imei

Anonymous said...

Are you still out there? As we near the first of the year I wondered what happened to your resolve.

Anonymous said...

Still there?

Imei said...

I don't know if this site has been abandoned, but there haven't been any new posts since August 2008.

Anyone who is checking in: we've all been hit hard by the economy. Emotional eating, however, will not solve these financial woes.

Michael Pollan was in town for a lecture at the beginning of the year, and his books have inspired many of us to take a look at not just the quantity but the quality of the food we eat. It's still a great idea to buy local, eat fresh vegetables and fruits, and evaluate the amount of dairy, protein from meat, and oils you need to be healthy.

I'm still bellydancing nearly every day, and teaching yoga two to three times a week. I'm encouraging everyone I know to find something active that you LOVE, whether that's hula hooping, dancing in front of the mirror, or jogging around your neighborhood. The sun is coming out more often, and you need to get some vitamin D anyways.

I want to put together a West Seattle group of people who can give up a lunch hour to come work out for free in my studio. Anyone who is interested, please email me offline at imei@dreamyogaanddance.com.

Coney Island Lighthouse said...

Interesting! Did you by any chance ever visit or write about the Coney Island Lighthouse and Frank Schubert? I'm trying to track down a Rebecca Morris that did.