A journey into the world of "real food" with Seattle-based journalist Rebecca Morris

A journey into the world of "real food" with Seattle-based journalist Rebecca Morris

Monday, May 12, 2008

Question of the Week: What Can I Grow On the Deck of a Condo?

I hope to be the owner soon (well, the bank and me) of a condo in Greenwood. It has a deck, and as I told my Realtor, I've waited 25 years to be able to sit outside at my home and have a cup of coffee in the morning. For those 25 years, I lived in what my brother calls 'sardine cans' in New York and Seattle, with no deck and no yard. Yes, I could walk a couple of blocks and be in Central Park, but I just want to be able to stay in my pajamas and at the same time be outside.
I haven't measured the deck (we're still negotiating with the seller on a final price) but I should be able to have flowers plus pots of.....this is where I need your help. What can I realistically grow? What can I grow if I'm not realistic?

4 comments:

Angela Wales Rockett said...

I just started growing things on our small apartment balcony in Bothell. When I asked this same question, the first thing everybody recommended was cherry tomatoes. So, that's what I got first. I've also added several herbs, strawberries and some lettuces. So far they're all still alive. :)

Imei said...

Take a look at what, if any parts of your deck, receives shade and sun. You can plant (from seed or sprout) lettuces like kale and chard and greens in the shady part of the deck, and plant tomatoes and probably some peas in the more sunny parts (needs water!).

Don't forget the "easy" stuff you grow inside, like alfalfa sprouts in glass jars with a lid (remember being "farmer for a day" in the elementary school classroom setting)? That will grow great with your salad items!

Happy gardening, and congrats on the condo!

Wesa said...

What's the exposure? My last apartment was a corner unit with full south and west exposures. I grew tomatoes, bell peppers, thai red chili peppers, green beans, pots of basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, jasmine, and other flowers. Now I'm in a pure north-facing apartment with a sliver of direct sunlight so I am growing a salad mix. We are setting up indoor grow lights for basil and cilantro.

tlchang said...

I also grow pretty much every herb that I use for cooking on my deck in Kirkland. For me, it's a 'bigger bang for your buck' (in this instance, space) to grow something that I harvest all summer, and for about 75% of them - all year round - then to try to grow fruits or veggies that have a small and/or very limited harvest potential.